Create an inspirational montage that is a blending of 2 or more images combined with 2 or less fonts.
- I knew that inspiration of any sort was the required focus for this piece, so I chose a piece of poetry from Emily Dickinson that really resonated with me.
- I searched free pictures sites for “birds” and “soul.” After a few failed attempts at “soul,” I thought maybe I could find a good image of a person. I liked this photo of the girl best. I’m a big fan of the contrast between colors, and black and white. So I chose to find a good black and white background picture. Then I found a flying bird image and a girl image with matching color schemes. I chose to go with cool colors to set a more mysterious tone of possibility, as the poem implies.
- I placed the black and white bird image as my background.
- I lassoed the girl image and the colorful bird image onto the background.
- I placed both images on the left side as to avoid center alignment.
- I began blending the girl and bird into the background. I liked the “mystical haze” that blending at a low percentage opacity did. It gave the piece a touch of magic, so I kept it in.
- I formed the quote. To allow it to stand out from the black and white background and not just be mere white font, I pulled the exact colors from the bird and girl and implemented them into the font. I chose 3 fonts I was a fan of.
After receiving critique from my peers and professor, I spread the “mystical haze” out into bursts around the bird and girl. I did this by lassoing the colors from the image, copying and pasting them onto the background, and then blending them in. I also simplified the typography from 3 fonts to only 2, and fixed the alignment of it.
Hope is like a bird waiting to burst into flight. Just give it a reason to soar.
I feel like English majors, especially with a passion for poetry or an emphasis in literary studies, would greatly appreciate this message. Otherwise, I feel like anyone who needs to believe in something or someone again could use this message.
TOP THING LEARNED
I learned that blending can have a powerful effect. Originally, I was going to try and achieve a clean-cut image. But I feel that blending did more for this piece than cropping the images perfectly would have done. I believe there’s some magic behind the message, and so there needed to be some magic and splendor to the image.
COLOR SCHEME AND NAMES
Cool Colors: Purple, Teal, and Green against a stark Black and White background.
TITLE FONT NAME AND CATEGORY
Fredericka the Great, Decorative
COPY FONT NAME AND CATEGORY
PT Serif Regular, Serif
THUMBNAILS OF ORIGINAL, UNEDITED IMAGES
SOURCE OF IMAGES
Splash and Pixaby